PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Iakovakis looks forward to the fabulous atmosphere of Lausanne - IAAF World Athletics

xrisos
12-06-07, 20:06
Lausanne, Switzerland - The 400m Hurdles at Athletissima 2007 on Tuesday 10 July, a Super Grand Prix meeting which is part of the IAAF World Athletics Tour 2007, promises to be full of interest.

The field is impressive with three top athletes from the USA racing, reigning World champion Bershawn Jackson, James Carter, the World silver medallist, and Kerron Clement who was the fastest performer in 2006 and was fourth in the 2005 World Championships.

Carrying Europe’s standard will be Greece’s reigning European Champion, Periklis Iakovakis who last Friday (8 June) was one of the principle guests of a press conference to promote this year’s meeting.

“Last year, I think that I was the most consistent athlete in my event during the whole of the season. I ran 3 times under 48 seconds. But the past is the past, now it is a new season which begins. My coach and I postponed my preparation by one month, because I finished last season in mid-September, with 13 races in the legs. My body needed to recover. I took one month’s vacation.”

“I haven’t taken part in any competitions yet this year. I will begin next week with the Greek Championships, and then I will follow with the European Cup in Munich before coming to Lausanne.”

“Like each year, Lausanne will be a race at a very high level. The conditions are often excellent there, and the atmosphere is always fabulous. In 2005, I finished third in my first appearance. I said that I would return because the atmosphere was fantastic. In 2006 I returned and I finished second.”

As there is once again a 400m Hurdles in the programme, and I will be in the starting blocks 10 July. Knowing the speed of the track, I can achieve a very good time this year. If all goes well I will run under 48 seconds, and who knows, I will beat my own national record (47.82).”

“Stephan Diagana’s European record? I’m still missing half a second! It is an impressive time, achieved by a very good athlete. I do not want to focus on this record. We will see. Above all I will concentrate on my personal times.”

“Osaka (World Championships) will be my top priority in 2007. But, deep inside, there is already Beijing 2008. Until now the Olympic Games never did it for me. In Athens I was not been able to run properly, because I was weakened by an injury. Beijing is therefore a very important meeting for me.”

“Osaka Stadium? For sure do I am very good memories. Having achieved my national record there will certainly be a psychological advantage, but nothing more. We will see how the season goes this year, there are still three months left until the World Championships. I have heard that a new coating was laid on the track. I hope it will be very fast.”